Yadda, yadda, yadda and more annoying phrases

What annoying phrases from popular culture are speakers over-using in their presentations?
For example: I heard one speaker say "yadda, yadda, yadda" three times within 30 - minutes.

---------------------
I asked that question in a Linkedin Group and was overwhelmed with the responses. Here are a few annoying phrases and terms.
---------------------

Sandra Vogel, PhD • I am tired of hearing speakers say " Let me un pack this for you". This causes a mental shut down... .


Martijn Sjoorda • Ah... you pressed a button here! So, well, you know, it's like it's sorta, kinda, basically a bit like this. Note that the last sentence conveys no definite statement of fact or emotion whatsoever. If you listen actively, you'll hear that a lot of people simply fail to produce coherent, crisp sentences, even when they are "trained" public speakers. In my own language it would be the endemic use of "zeg maar" which has infested everyday speech. It's our equivalent of "like" or "sorta". Even seasoned public speakers (the prime minister comes to mind) use it.


James Hamilton • This is GREAT! I reference these over-used phrases in my keynote/seminars. A personal pet peeve of mine is: "SO, How many of you have ever....?' as an opener. It's okay to open with a question, but unless the energy in the room is already peaked, the audience usually does not want to raise their hands at the beginning of a presentation. Feel free to add the contrite: Synergize, monetize, bring to the table, reinvent the wheel, carve out a niche, core competencies, low hanging fruit, deliverables, action items, and...GAZILLIONS more. There is actually a "buzzword" game to play during executive meeitngs that lists many of these. It's FUN!


Mandi Stanley • Just yesterday, I heard a speaker say, "Well, at the end of the day..." three times within a 20 minute talk. It's quickly moving to the top of the overused cliches list.


Sue Birkam • Moving forward, going forward..what other direction would we go in? It is definitely overused not just in speeches but in everyday conversation.


Scott Barclay • I use 'bottom line' probably ten times within an hour, I am seeking help :)


http://www.blogger.com/groups?viewMemberFeed=&gid=37544&memberID=5851459&goback=%2Egmp_37544 • I agree with Mandy, "at the end of the day", at my end of the day I go to sleep, which is what happens when i hear those words ... Favourite MBA jargon, "add value".


Steven Weisman • For me, Yachting terms are the most annoying to me--"Headwinds and Tailwinds" They are elitest and mean nothing in the final analysis.


Kenny Zail • The fact of the matter is


John Loven • I have been pointing out to communications seminars that the word "toxic" has been drained of all specific meaning in just a few months. It now indicates any level of disapproval or undesirability for any (or no) reason. It is instructive to see the "draining" process happen so fast. It's a paradigm shift with a lot of impact for the stakeholders. I think. John


Maggi Smith-Dalton • Gritting my teeth as I say them: Going forward Back in the day On the same page skill sets like, you know, um (used almost every other word in the sentence!)


Mike Smithgall • I’m not as bothered by the new buzzwords/phrases because they come and go. What drives my crazy is "irregardless". I am also guilty of using the following "they may or may not...." well that doesn’t really narrow it down does it. It’s like saying it "may or may not rain..." although 100% correct it has not moved us any closer to valuable information.

I also not a big fan of anything that comes after a phrase such as "my granddaddy used to say..." It’s always some hokey, folk wisdom designed to cut through the clutter of today’s sophisticated jargon and get back to the basics. However, I guess if you are Zig Ziglar and your persona is based on being folksy it works.

OK, for the record I have used every one of these except irregardless. Maybe there is a speaker’s anonymous program I can join


Jodie Beach • I am laughing out loud! Everyone is right on with your replies . . . and I must confess, I am guilty of a few of these. Time to check myself and make improvements.


Mike Smithgall • Ooh I just remembered.. "At this point in time" that’s and oldie but a goody. Doesn’t that mean now? Its an attempt to make the mundane more elegant.

"At this point in time I’d like to suggest we all adjourn to Burger King" My other favorite is relatively new and I have seen it used by cable news anchors so of course it has to be correct... "efforting"

"We are efforting to get that video feed to you soon"....what? you mean working on or attempting or trying right.. is that even a word?

You know my granddaddy used to say "fixin to"...


Robb Braun • Just joined your group and am glad to be a part of. Comments have been great. I struggle when I hear things like "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten" or " Insanity is..."...you get the point. I know they are wonderful quotes and have meaning, but to me they have lost their meaning because they've become so overused and cliche. I hope I'm not using any that others have grown tired of hearing.


What annoys you about the phrases and terms that speakers use?

Do you agree or disagree with the above?

Watch for more feedback from this survey.


George Torok

Presentation Skills Training

The Speech Coach For Executives


Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives.Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: